BRENDAN Fevola allegedly exposed himself to a married mother of four after luring her to a car with the promise of a free football for her children.
As the disgraced star’s career teeters on the brink, we reveal he is set to be charged within days over his boozy Brownlow bender a year ago that sent his life into freefall.
The troubled forward was yesterday suspended indefinitely by the Brisbane Lions as police and the AFL investigate allegations he indecently exposed himself to a 38-year-old mother of four at 1pm on Saturday in a suburban Brisbane park.
The woman’s children were about 50m away from the alleged incident.
Seething AFL chiefs yesterday explored options of deregistering Fevola, but have vowed to wait until the conclusion of a Queensland Police investigation before acting.
Fevola has denied any wrongdoing as he fights to save his career.
“It’s bulls— mate, I’m not even sure what they’re saying I’m supposed to have done,” Fevola said.
Asked if he exposed himself indecently to a woman and made lewd remarks, Fevola said: “Nah, that’s not true mate, I hope nobody writes that because it didn’t happen.”
There is more bad news ahead for Fevola with the footy bad-boy set to be charged over his drunken rampage at last year’s Brownlow Medal count.
Victoria Police spokeswoman Karla Dennis said: “A 29-year-old Queensland man is yet to be charged over an incident in Melbourne in September last year.”
Asked whether the man would be charged, she said: “That’s the intention”.
Insiders claimed that the club had begun com-piling a “dirt file” on Fevola to justify moves to sack him.
Two other women came forward alleging seedy confrontations with Fevola in bars in Melbourne and Brisbane.
The AFL has offered Saturday’s alleged victim counselling. “Inappropriate or indecent behaviour towards women has no place in our game. We are taking (these allegations) extremely seriously,” AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson said.
Fevola attended the non-club event with teammates Troy Selwood and Daniel Merrett. It is believed Selwood, delisted last week, is prepared to back Fevola’s version of events.
Lions CEO Michael Bowers said the club was contacted by the woman’s husband on Tuesday.
The club immediately informed the AFL, who spoke to the man before advising him to inform Queensland Police.
Fevola was summoned to the club yesterday where the former Carlton star told his side of the story.
The function where Fevola allegedly exposed himself was organised by the cousin of Lions skipper Jonathan Brown.
Businessman Shaun Mugavin is the operations director of Good Sports Home Services, which held an open day in the suburb of Wakerley.
Mr Mugavin said he had not received complaints about Fevola’s conduct.
“Fev was excellent. I couldn’t speak highly enough of him. He was fantastic,” he said.
Fevola was axed by Carlton late last year after he became drunk at the 2009 Brownlow Medal vote count.
September 21 is the anniversary of the 2009 count, after which Fevola could not be charged under the statute of limitations. The likely charge is being drunk in a public place.
The Herald Sun believes police had been intending to charge Fevola for many months, either by contacting him in Queensland or issuing it on one of his footballing trips to Melbourne.
It is likely the matter would be dealt with by a penalty notice, issued under new laws allowing such matters to be dealt without a court appearance.
Fevola kicked 48 goals this year in a season riddled with controversy.
In April, he confessed to a gambling addiction and debts into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
It followed a scandal involving a nude photograph he had distributed of bikini model Lara Bingle.